Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Real Food 5: Lamb with Mushrooms and Sweet Potatoes

Sourcing Local Meat
Whenever I visit our local North Coast Co-Op, the first place I always go is the butcher. They have, without a doubt, the best meat selection I've ever encountered at a local store. Meat options range from wild salmon, fresh bay shrimp, local grass-fed beef, local lamb, local pork, buffalo, elk, and more. Here are some of the cuts I frequently buy:

  • Local and grass-fed ground beef 80%: $2.49-2.99/pound
  • Local and grass-fed beef liver: $2.99/pound
  • Local and grass-fed lamb stew meat: $3.99/pound
  • Local and grass-fed lamb roast: $3.99/pound
  • Local natural pork stew meat: $3.99/pound
  • Local natural pork roast: $4.99/pound
  • Natural pork country style ribs: $3.99/pound
If these aren't amazing prices for top quality meat, I don't know what is. I rave about the butcher at the Co-Op to everyone who will listen. 

On my trip to the butcher on Sunday they had some more local lamb stew meat, so I bought two pounds all of it.

Slow-Cooked Local Grass-Fed Lamb, Mushrooms, and Sweet Potatoes

Lamb in slow-cooker

Woke up at 9am this morning to put the lamb in:
  • A couple lbs lamb
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Rosemary
  • Cumin

Then I just press go and leave it for 6 hours or so on high. 






Sweet Potatoes brazing in coconut oil and ghee

When I got home I threw sweet potato slices in to a mix of ghee and coconut oil.
      
- 1 lb sweet potato (one medium)
- couple spoonfulls of oil (can use butter, ghee, coconut oil.).

Then just turn to med heat, cover and let the slices sizzle in the oil until they are soft on the inside, a little crispy on the outside, and soaking in oil. 

Absolutely delicious, this is a go-to dish for me.




Finished lamb with mushrooms on top.

The last step was to sautee some mushroooms in olive oil until they were soft and soaking with oil, then pour them over the lamb in a bowl. 

This meal was amazing, so simple and easy, but tastes fantastic.

3 comments:

  1. Tyler, that looks super tasty. I'm hoping to buy a lamb this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really yummy breakfast. I like sweet potatoes and mushroom is always favorite of mine. This is really great food for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting recipe.. I have only tasted Mushrooms and Sweet Potatoes. I've used it for breakfast meetings, been for lunch and dinner.

    ReplyDelete